Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – September 27, 2010 – From the NRHA Reiner – With a combined score of 674.5, USA dominated the team competition and proved that they are what many predicted was a Reining “Dream Team.” In this afternoon’s session, Flarida sealed the Gold Medal podium position for Team USA by riding RC Fancy Step to a 227 – also the highest individual score of the competition. This is the second team Gold Medal for USA (2002).
Gold Medal – Team USA
* Shawn Flarida & RC Fancy Step, owned by Buffalo Ranch
* Tom McCutcheon & Gunners Special Nite, owned by Sarah Willeman
* Craig Schmersal & Mister Montana Nic, owned by Ericka Smith
* Tim McQuay & Hollywoodstinseltown, owned by David Silva
* Chef d’Equipe Jeff Petska
The roar from the crowd still hadn’t settled from Flarida’s run, before Belgium’s Bernard Fonck entered the arena on BA Reckless Chick. Fonck held his own by scoring a 223.5 and boosting Team Belgium’s overall score to 659 and ultimately the Silver Medal. This is Belgium’s first World Equestrian Games medal in Reining.
Silver Medal – Team Belgium
* Bernard Fonck & BA Reckless Chick, owned by Nietvelt Van Tendeloo
* Ann Poels Fonck & Whizdom Shines, owned by Heaven Reining Horses
* Cira Baeck & Peek A Boom, owned by Susy Baeck & Ellen Wintermans
* Jan Boogaerts & Gumpy Grumpy BB, owned by Susy Baeck
* Chef d’Equipe Susy Baeck
Team Italy earned it’s third consecutive WEG Bronze Medal (2002 & 2006) with a combined score of 655.5. Stefano Massignan contributed the team’s top score during Saturday’s afternoon session – a 224 aboard Yellow Jersey.
Bronze Medal – Team Italy
* Stefano Massignan & Yellow Jersey, owned by Arcese Quarter Horses USA
* Dario Carmignani & Red Chic Peppy, owned by Maria Bianchi
* Nicola Brunelli & Spat A Blue, owned by Claudio Risso
* Marco Ricotta & Smart And Shiney, owned by Lyle Lovett
* Chef d’Equipe Mario Sbrana
Despite a strong showing from Rudi Kronsteiner, riding Einsteins Revolution to a 221, Team Austria finished in fourth place – only 1.5 points behind Belgium.